We at Security Compass are on a mission to create a world where we can trust technology by enabling organizations to shift left and build secure applications by design. Our flagship product, SD Elements, helps organizations to reduce cyber risks by taking an automated, developer-centric approach to threat modeling, secure development, and compliance. This, combined with our industry-leading e-Learning offerings, allows us to support our customers in accelerating software time-to-market without sacrificing security.
The Principal Developer is focused on the strategic direction of our application systems. The Principal Developer defines and guides how our application systems should look, function, and interact, along with helping to define how new features and initiatives fit into the overall architecture vision. They work closely with business, product, and technical stakeholders to present and support this vision and guide our strategic roadmap towards materializing this vision, taking into account other competing goals within the organization.
Reporting to the Lead Architect you will enable success, develop strategy, remove blockers, advise staff developers on hard technical problems, and drive value across multiple teams in the engineering department. Our teams are empowered with autonomy and ownership and we are looking for someone with a high level of initiative.
This role is open to candidates in Canada. We are a remote-first company with a head-office in Toronto. We don’t mandate team members to come in on a particular schedule, however we encourage team members to come into the office to foster connection with their colleagues on a schedule that works for them personally.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with Product Managers to assess technical viability and advise on the system level design of our initiatives.
- Define and drive the technical direction and the architectural vision for the system, looking for opportunities to align the product vision with the technical one and taking into account the current and future challenges facing our application tier.
- Advise and define the technologies and golden path approaches for the system, leading technical POCs to make these determinations where necessary, using knowledge of the business, the technology, and industry best practices.
- As the senior most technologist, mentor, promote, and evangelize skills, approaches, and best practices within the organization.
- Work with teams to refine the software bill of materials that defines what is delivered.
- Champion technical currency and the timely management of technical debt to keep our software entropy low.
What you’ll need to succeed
- You have a strong bias for action: you move mountains and get things done.
- You are solution oriented: you identify and own problems.
- You are passionate about documentation.
- You like solving hard problems.
- You are curious and always learning.
- You are not afraid to take a stand, disagree, but also to commit.
- You have experience with transformation.
Why Security Compass?
- Meaningful Work. We contribute towards making technology in the world more secure and our vision is one of a world where we can trust technology.
- Trust. It’s important to us that you trust those you work with and are empowered to be yourself. To build this trust and transparency, we encourage open, respectful communication.
- Innovation. We encourage you to explore ideas and test new theories, both in your work and in your individual career development plan.
- Growth. We make your growth and learning a priority by allocating all our employees with a dedicated learning & growth budget. We give our team members tools and support to be the drivers of their careers and encourage knowledge sharing.
- Life-Work Integration. We create an environment where you can integrate your work with life in a way that makes sense for you with our hybrid or remote working model, flexible work hours, and unlimited vacation!
- Fun. We could not have good culture without good fun, and we don’t underestimate its importance. Our casual atmosphere promotes camaraderie, fun and helps bring people together.
- Embracing Diversity, Inclusion and Equity. We speak up for inclusion and celebrate diversity in thought. Our goal is to create a safe, equitable workplace where everyone feels like they belong.
Click here to start imagining your future at Security Compass!
Security Compass is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to meeting the accessibility needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). Should you require any accommodation, please inform [email protected] so that an inclusive and barrier free process can be provided to all applicants. All information provided will be addressed confidentially.